First see the details in this tutorial video. Below I will explain some specific concepts and summaries.
What is Cloudflare?
Cloudflare, Inc. is a U.S. company that provides content delivery network services, DDoS mitigation, Internet security and distributed domain name server services.
Cloudflare’s services sit between the visitor and the Cloudflare user’s hosting provider, acting as a reverse proxy for website.
Cloudflare is the largest content delivery networks (CDN) in the world today. In a nutshell, It places a website’s content in many places all over the world which can reach a wider audience much faster.
A staggering figure: Cloudflare powers nearly 10 percent of all Internet requests for more than 2.8 billion people worldwide.
In addition Cloudflare has many other advanced features such as:
- DDOS protection, create website protection firewall.
- Provide free SSL.
- Stream Video.
- Provide applications (apps) that add features to your website.
- Domain registration
Add your website to Cloudflare
All it takes is 2 simple steps:
- Step 1: Add your domain to Cloudflare
- Step 2: Change your domain nameservers to Cloudflare
The way to change your DNS depends on the domain name provider. Contact your registrar’s support center for the most accurate information.
Then if you succeed, you will receive the following message:
From here, every time you need to point IP, CNAME, MX or any type of DNS, you do in Cloudflare, not in the domain management dashboard as before.
You can use Cloudflare for free. Later, if your website has a lot of traffic, you might consider upgrading to $ 20 per month
Get Free SSL For Your Website with Cloudflare
I recommend using paid SSL. However, if you want to save money, you can use SSL for free from Cloudflare.
You can refer to this article for all the information!
Improve website speed
You need to enable css, html & js compression on:
Next, if your website has finished installing SSL, turn on Brotli feature:
And please select the default for the remaining features. That’s it!
About Cloudflare’s modules
If you want to learn more about Cloudflare, I will explain the role of its modules:
- Overview: Review the status of your website operation, switch usage packages.
- Analytics: After installing Cloudflare for a while, you can access this section to view data such as Bandwidth, traffic, geographic statistics, browser, performance security, etc.
- DNS: DNS management section.
- Crypto: Free SSL setup.
- Firewall: Turn on / off the firewall. If the size of your website is small, there is no need to use this feature. With this feature, you can track the IP addresses that access your website.
- Access: Authorize a group of people to access an amount of internal content. You rarely need to use this feature.
- Speed: Set up acceleration features for the website as I guided above. Pro package has some other features like Polish or Mirage, if you like to use it, just turn it on.
- Caching: You can set it as default. If you want to delete the cache to edit something, just click Purge Everything. You can also set the expiration time of the cache.
- Page rules: Create rules for specific pages. For example, in case you want the settings not to apply to certain pages, or stop security on any page…
- Networks: Managing network related issues, set it to default.
- Traffic: These are paid services, you need to pay to be able to use them. For example, Argo will help your website reduce connection error rate, or Load Balancing will create backup data.
- Stream: If you regularly upload videos directly to your website, you can use this feature to reduce the load for web hosting. Price is $ 1 for 1000 minutes of viewing.
- Custom Page: Edit the content for error pages, only in the Pro package.
- Apps: Integrating 3rd party applications, giving your website more features. But I do not use this module because there are better plugins and tools… Or these apps all have their own version for WordPress.
- Scrape Shield: Protect your content. For example tampering with email addresses contained in your content, or automatically hiding content for suspicious access. Set it to default
It is recommended to use the additional caching plugin
To improve the speed of your website, you should install an additional caching plugin such as:
- W3 Total Cache
- WP Rocket
You can refer to this article about Best catching plugins in 2019.
These plugins all have an integration with Cloudflare, just enter the API Key of the Clouflare.
You can find Cloudflare’s API key in My Profiles => Global API Keys:
Let’s start now!
So, I showed you how to use Cloudflare to speed up the website. Everything is easy & free so you can do it right now.
You will see that the page loading speed is improved immediately after the setup is complete.
If anything is not understood in this article, please leave a comment below!
Further reading: Guide to Connect to Your WordPress Site’s Web Server via FileZilla