I have many tutorials to help anyone who does not know anything about programming easily make a professional website for many purposes.
However, many people still do not understand how a website operates? Where the data is stored? What is hosting & domain?
In this article, I will help you with the most clear knowledge of web hosting concept, how it works and some tips.
- What is web hosting?
- What is the difference between hosting and domain names?
- How does Web hosting work?
- Popular types of web hosting
- How about creating a website without hosting?
- Free hosting & paid hosting: Which type should you use?
- Best web hosting service for websites in 2019
- How to Choose a Domain Name?
What is web hosting?
Web Hosting is an online service that stores all data files of websites such as articles, images, videos, source codes …
No website can operate without being associated with a hosting service.
In technical terms, you can consider Web Hosting as a server – like a physical computer running continuously so that your website can always be active at all times for everyone to access.
For example, thanks to hosting, websites like flashreviewz can operate and you can access & read the articles like this guide about 7 Ways to Speed Up Your Website
There are many different hosting providers so you will have a lot of choices, depending on your preferences and budget.
Their mission is to operate continuously to keep the server running smoothly to make your website accessible at any time.
What is the difference between hosting and domain names?
Domain (Domain) and Web Hosting are 2 completely different products. However, You need both elements to be able to operate a website.
For example fashreviewz.com, backlinko.com or neilpatel.com are domain names.
The domain name must be pointed to your server, then the user will see the content on your website (ie pointing to hosting).
- Web Hosting: Used to store data, you have to pay monthly or yearly fees.
- Domain: The address for users to access your website. You have to pay yearly fees.
Without a domain name, there is no way to have a website access address, and vice versa if there is no web hosting, then you have no place to store data. So the website will not work.
How does Web hosting work?
The nature of web hosting is the already programmed machines, so its operation almost has instructions for use on the internet.
After you rent the web hosting (Usually by year for the cheap price), you will have access to the manage area of that hosting.
At first glance it looks complicated, but as I said, they all have detailed instructions on the internet. In fact, you only have to access here the initial time to set up so that the website can operate, but You don’t need to use these features too much later.
Popular types of web hosting
The most popular web hosting providers today have many types of hosting that meet many purposes of both basic and advanced users.
The most popular hosting types are:
- Shared Hosting: This is the most popular type and very suitable for newbies
- WordPress Hosting: It is also relatively popular for WordPress website developers
- VPS Hosting: VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. It is a lot more reliable and stable than shared hosting, but it is not recommended for new beginners.
- Dedicated Server Hosting: AS the name already suggests, dedicated hosting simply means this: you have a server all for yourself.
You can refer to this article to learn more about the details of Popular types of web hosting.
For example, Hawkhost is a reputable hosting provider. You can see that they offer many types of hosting as I mentioned above:
For new people, to be able to start making a website without having many difficulties in technical manipulation, you should start with Shared Hosting.
Shared hosting means that the main server will be divided into multiple resource clusters, you will own 1 cluster of resources, and the other clusters will be for other customers.
When your website grows over time, there is a large amount of data on the site and a high amount of traffic, you need a web hosting with a larger bandwidth.
Or when the website has brought you a big source of revenue, you might consider switching to VPS or Dedicated Server.
How about creating a website without hosting?
There are still many people who think that there are many platforms that allow you to build a website without buying and installing web hosting.
Some platforms allow creating free websites such as:
So should you create a free website on these platforms or with paid web hosting? Let’s find out the pros & cons of these free platforms:
- You don’t have to pay for hosting and server administration.
- The process is very simple. Just create a free account, choose a template & publish content.
- High security
- No self-control of website data. These platforms have the right to remove your website if they violate their community standards.
- Limit customization to user interface and experience.
- You cannot use additional tools to increase website performance & utility.
- You cannot install the desired professional themes.
- If you want to use the full feature, you must upgrade it for a very expensive fee.
For example, this is a cost from WordPress.com, which is much more expensive than buying a web hosting & creating a professional website for yourself.
Therefore, I recommend if you want to be professional from the beginning & go in the right direction as experts, build your website on your own web hosting!
These free platforms will limit many things that make you very uncomfortable to use, and if you want to upgrade, the price is very expensive compared to buying a hosting & creating a website from it.
Those free platforms are primarily born for writing-loving individuals to have a free place to satisfy their passion.
If you create a website for money or business purposes, you should have a separate web hosting to customize everything at your disposal.
Although you have to set up some things at first, after a while you will find it quite easy.
Related post: how to determine the right platform for your first blog?
Free hosting & paid hosting: Which type should you use?
You should note that these free hosting has many disadvantages:
- Low configuration: It means that your website will run extremely slowly, with many errors.
- No support: If you have a problem, you will have to take care of yourself or handle it yourself, as it is free
- Ask you to upgrade: It is likely that the provider has caused the above problems, requiring you to upgrade for further use.
There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch! Many web hosting providers create free hosting packages for the ultimate purpose: Attract customers to sell paid hosting.
For example, with Hostinger, although they offer free web hosting, their main product is still paid hosting.
In short, you should not use web hosting for free because it causes a lot of troubles and annoyances.
You should only use them in case you want to become familiar with the interface and operations on web hosting.
Best web hosting service for websites in 2019
With 3 years of experience in the field of making money online and developing websites, I will give you advice in deciding which web hosting you should buy and use in 2019:
- 1&1 Ionos
- A2 Web Hosting
- Liquid Web Hosting
How to Choose a Domain Name?
You should decide on the domain name first and then buy hosting later.
Notes when buying domain names:
- Choose a domain name that’s suitable for the purpose of the business: Does your website represent a personal brand, a company or a team? Is it a ecommerce site or a blog?…
- Domain extensions: .com or .net or .org, etc
- Is that domain name available: After you have chosen a domain name, you may not have bought it because someone may have bought it before you.
I hope this article has helped you visualize and understand the concept of web hosting, how it works and some useful tips.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment!