When you learn about SEO at the present time, you will hear a lot of phrases: SEO with no backlinks technique. (Backlink here is the link from other places pointing to your site).
Especially this will happen easily in less competitive niches or keywords with less competition.
This situation does not happen to the majority, so many people will think that SEO without backlinks technique is not practical. If there is no link, Google will not evaluate the content well.
The fact is that this method exists and it is made according to the formula:
Rank top = Content + UX + Internal link
With a good content, good user experience & proper internal link layout, many of your keywords will rank high without link building. Or backlinks will come in naturally: Users share your articles on multiple channels.
Internal linking is important in SEO whitehat. If you know how to make a proper internal link, you will:
- Reduce bounce rate
- Increase page view
This helps Google evaluate your site really quality and ranked high.
In this article I will give a concept along with guide you on how to make effective internal link.
- The Definition of Internal Linking
- Importance of internal links
- What you need to keep in mind before building internal links?
- Create quality content around main content
- Diversify Anchor Text
- Point internal links to articles that give useful information
- Build menu on top of website
- Build internal links at the Website’s footer
- Use internal links in reasonable quantities
- Display BreadCrumb Navigation Links
The Definition of Internal Linking
An internal link connects one page of a website to a different page on the same website. In an internal link, the source domain and target domain are the same.
Some common internal links that you can see are:
- Link from home page to categories, articles
- Link from categories to articles
- Link from this article to the other articles
- Link from the menu, footer
- Link from banner on website
- Flashreviewz is an internal link, this link points to the home page of my blog, anchor text here is ‘Flashreviewz’
- How to recover from the Google algorithm update is also an internal link, this link points to my recent article about SEO.
If you view your website as a house, the structure of that house must be sustainable and have a reasonable arrangement, then our experience can be comfortable.
Similarly, for a website, the internal link of the site must be optimized to have a positive impact on your SEO results. In particular, with increasing competition, optimizing internal links will be a must.
If finding the niche and researching the right keywords from the beginning will help your website to plan properly, building internal links will improve the quality of the website, increase the user experience. This directly impacts keyword rankings.
When content on a website has clear and logical linking through properly inserted anchor text, the domain authority and page authority will increase proportionally.
You can find more information in this article!
I have a few notes before you proceed to read the next content:
- Visualize the site structure (pages on the site: home page, category pages ..). Popularity will be home page => categories => articles.
- Determine the main content for the website: Usually the monetized content is profitable or the content that attracts a large amount of traffic. These are the pages you should focus on to do internal link building.
- Track internal links through Search Console: For a website that has a certain amount of content after a certain time of construction. If you have time, take a look at the data from Search Console to see the effect of building internal links
I have detailed instructions on how to verify the website with the google search console, you can refer it first!
The following is the link building experience I have gained during the implementation of SEO for many websites and the results are quite good, I hope it will be useful for you.
Create quality content around main content
Please note that quality content around main content are different!
- Quality content is the content to address the needs of readers thoroughly. Your website should have as much quality content as possible.
- Main content: Content that generates money or has lots of search.
Having quality content that is relevant to main your content means you will focus on that main content.
For example, you are doing SEO for a website that sells weight loss pills, the main content here is “weight loss guide”. In addition to content for this keyword, you need to build other additional posts for it, for example:
- Guide to losing weight with black beans
- Fashion clothes for fat people
- Weight loss of sweet potatoes and eggs
And in these supplementary posts, find the most appropriate place to point to internal links on weight loss articles such as:
- Right on the menu
- At the beginning of the article.
- In content, where is the relevancy that you think users can click the most
- At the bottom of the article
- In the related article
A few notes on placing this type of internal link:
- Always diversify the anchor text
- Make the link in the position as relevant as possible… to get the most clickthrough rate
- Footer is also a place to place internal links for important content.
- Internal links can also be placed in banners
If your website is selling products, services, … besides paid traffic please prioritize the plan to build the blog section with the content development strategy for the product or service concerned.
That leads to internal linking to the trending / best seller products… to generate revenue quickly.
As I often share in the content of online business, give value to your customers, on topics related to products or services you do business.
In short, it helps to interact & impress the customer. In the long run, it helps you build brand as well as build you a valuable source of free traffic.
Diversify Anchor Text
Anchor text is the clickable text in a hyperlink.
Google appreciates “the natural” when you optimize anything, & Anchor Text is no exception. You should diversify it rather than always choose anchor text as the keyword that need SEO.
But the anchor text must be related to the content of the page that needs to link, sometimes it just needs to be a “bare link”, or an image.
For example you are doing SEO for the keyword “make money online for newbies”, you can diversify the anchor text as follows, I will put the anchor text in the […]
- You can refer to the methods of making money online for newbies [here]
- Related post: [making money online methods]
- Read the following article to learn how to make money online for inexperienced people [The bare link]
For a blog post, you should put an internal link at the location where you think users are likely to click on this information.
This link leads to another page in your website that provides guidance on the issue in question, or explains more about the issue being addressed, or provides products / corresponding service.
Especially the niches with high academic knowledge, when users are reading your articles and they do not understand the sentence or the specialized vocabulary, you can source into a more in-depth article.
The user clicks from page to page within your website is also many signals that Google recognized and brought about good SEO results.
It helps Google understand that your information on the Web is useful to navigate traffic from page to page. And users not only read 1 post but also many more.
Basically, the menu system is also internal links because each menu module points to the main sections of your website or to a page with important and prominent content in the your website.
Placing a menu on the top of the web page will highlight the main topic of your website. This helps Google understand and appreciate the main content. This is also the item that users will click on often when they are interested, especially with the loyal readers.
Links at the bottom of the website does not bring effective as high as the link at the top of the website. But that does not mean that you leave this position empty, put internal link to some pages with prominent content on your website.
After the user finishes reading a piece of work, the high probability is that they will scroll down at the bottom of the page and will click on some important information you have linked there.
Some content that you can put internal links in the footer such as:
- About you or your business
- The main service you are doing
- Terms and policies of the website
This is the footer of the Shopify Blog:
Building internal links is good, but that does not mean that you should try to cram many internal links in an article.
Google has warned that “always keep the number of links in a page of reasonable numbers”, but no one knows exactly how much this is.
The number of links depends on the decision of the individual. I use about 2-4 internal links for content of about 1000 words (excluding menu link and footer, only in main content).
This rationale depends on how you use it, but not too much and not too little, the core is that the link has the click rate as much as possible.
Breadcrumb navigation is a term used to describe a hierarchical navigation menu presented as a trail of links. It is often used as a secondary navigation that allows users to go up and down in the hierarchy of links.
The Breadcrumb is a bar that allows users to know the parent directory of the article they are reading and it is likely that they will click to find articles in the same category. As you can see it is inherently an internal link because it points to the directory in the same web page
So I recommend you DO NOT hide it.
I have summarized the techniques of building internal links through examples and notes in the process of creating internal links on the website obtained from my experience of generating revenue with the website for many years.
Creating internal links is not too difficult, every time you write new posts, you should put internal links in the paragraph that you feel need to add links to bring value to the user. Or add something like “learn more about ABC” “see more about XYZ here”, …
All this helps to build a stronger website on SEO.
If you have any questions or concerns about creating internal links for your website, please leave a comment below and I will try to assist you in the shortest time.
Image credit: SketchThemes